Virtual Air Guitar Company
Based in Helsinki, Finland
July 29, 2015
Squid Hero saves the planet from a new ice age in this cheery and colorful adventure for all ages, using the power of Kinect to smash thousands of encroaching chunks of ice.
Our previous game Boom Ball had been loosely based on Breakout and Pong. When we began prototyping our next project, one of the ideas was to see what we could do with Asteroids. Instead of shooting at rocks, you'd grab them with your hands and throw them against each other. The first prototype had some vaguely rock-like gray blobs on a default blue background. They looked kind of like icebergs floating in an ocean... then the water theme sparked off, and suddenly we had a squid and little critters trapped in ice cubes. The rest evolved from there.
- Accurate, responsive Kinect control
- Entire game playable in single-player or 2-player co-op
- Pit your dexterity against crazy turbo-speed races!
- Challenge your accuracy in tight rhythm sections!
- Weave your way through minefields!
- Smash everything on screen in bonus sections!
- Save hapless critters in the nick of time!
- Battle epic giant robot bosses!
Squid Hero for Kinect Trailer YouTube
Video Review / Xbox, Record That! YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Whether you are looking for a game for yourself, or something for the whole family, Squid Hero will appeal to everyone."
- Megan Walton, Press A 2 Join
- "For most players, I strongly recommend you pick up Squid Hero for Kinect."
- Matt, ICXM.net
- "Once every thousand years when the 7 planets of a Alderon align, a decent Kinect game emerges from the darkness to shine a light of hope for Kinect owners."
- Miles Dompier, What's Your Tag?
- "with Squid Hero for Kinect I feel the company has really gotten the whole hand gestures movement down perfectly."
- Jason Stettner, Gamer Headquarters
- "... we can imagine kids having hours of fun without it being too hard to play or understand."
- , Xbox Exposed
- "When can your child enjoy a Kinect game? I'll tell you, with an enjoyable simple to explain experience with a funny recognizable character. Dear reader, that's Squid Hero for Kinect."
- DaeJim, Life Is Xbox
- "2 player co-op but also competitive fun is where the game shines most."
- Ricardo Silva, Xbox: Game On!
- "The Kinect controls were perfect and smooth, and it's definitely a solid Kinect game that deserves being checked out."
- Will, LaidBack Gaming
- "Squid Hero for Kinect merece cada uno de los céntimos que paguemos por él, es divertido y adictivo y eso sin duda es un elemento clave en este tipo de juegos."
- Jose Angel Martinez, Solo Xbox One
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Exclusive Interview with Lead Designer Aki Kanerva at The Xbox Hub
Interview with Lead Designer Aki Kanerva at Press A 2 Join
Squid Hero for Kinect Interview at Gamer Headquarters
About Virtual Air Guitar Company
Virtual Air Guitar Company is a Finnish indie studio specializing in motion games, from full-body action to precise fingertip control. The company was founded in 2006 by computer vision and virtual reality researchers.
More information on Virtual Air Guitar Company, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Squid Hero for Kinect Credits
Design and Programming - Virtual Air Guitar Company
Additional Programming, Level Design - Virtual Air Guitar Company
Additional Art - OtherSide OutSourcing
Concept Art - Freelancer
Sound Designer, Music Supervisor - Freelancer